This morning a little after 2am I woke up and woke Josh up writhing in pain because of a leg cramp. The first time this happened to me when I was pregnant with Mia I woke him up the same way and he freaked out ready to grab the hospital bag and go. This time he was much more calm. "What's wrong?" he asked. When I told him it was a leg cramp he offered me some water.
Leg cramps are common in pregnancy and one of the most painful side effects. Why do they happen? Not really sure, but it could be because leg muscles are tired from carrying around the extra weight. Perhaps it's due to circulation issues because of an expanding uterus. No matter why it happens it's uncomfortable and I want to do what I can to avoid waking up to more leg cramps.
To prevent leg cramps
- Avoid standing or sitting with legs crossed for an extended period of time
- Stretch out calf muscles before going to bed
- Rotate ankles and wiggle toes while seated
- Lie down on your left side to improve circulation
- Get plenty of rest
- Drink lots of water
- Take a warm bath to relax muscles before bed