PIERRE, S.D. -- South Dakota state parks will hold several special events over Father's Day weekend. The activities are a great way to spend a summer day with your family.
- The Big Mick, June 15, 5 a.m. MDT on the George S. Mickelson Trail in the Black Hills. Info: 605-584-3896 orwww.thebigmick.org
- Dakotaman Triathlon, June 15, 8 a.m. CDT, Lake Alvin Recreation Area near Harrisburg. Info:http://www.dakotamantriathlon.com/
- Nature Hike: Nature's Bounty, June 15, 9 a.m. CDT, Good Earth State Park at Blood Run near Sioux Falls. Info: 605-987-2263 or email@example.com. Pre-registration: 605-362-2777 or www.outdoorcampus.org.
- Archery for Beginners, June 15, 10 a.m. CDT. North Point Recreation Area near Pickstown. Info: 605-487-7046
- Dutch Oven Cooking Demo, June 15, 10 a.m. CDT, Oakwood Lakes State Park near Bruce. Info: 605-627-5441
- Kids' Fishing Derby, June 15, 10 a.m. - Noon CDT, Oahe Downstream Recreation Area. This event was rescheduled from June 1 due to weather. Info: 605-223-7722
- Senses Hike, June 15, 11 a.m. CDT, Newton Hills State Park near Canton. Info: 605-987-2263
- Lewis and Clark Homestead Day, June 15, 1-4 p.m. CDT at Pierson Ranch Recreation Area near Yankton. Info: 605-668-2985
- Nature Hike, June 15, 2 p.m. CDT, Good Earth State Park at Blood Run near Sioux Falls. Info: 605-987-2263 firstname.lastname@example.org. Pre-registration 605-362-2777 or www.outdoorcampus.org.
- Prehistoric Outdoor Games, June 15, 2 p.m. CDT, Palisades State Park near Garretson. Info: 605-594-3824
- Pioneer Day, June 15, 2-6 p.m. CDT. Lake Thompson Recreation Area near Arlington. Info: 605-847-4893
- Whooo Lives in a Tree, June 15, 3 p.m. CDT, Newton Hills State Park near Canton. Info: 605-987-2263
- Father's Day Treats for Dad, June 15, 4 p.m. CDT, Lake Poinsett Recreation Area near Arlington. Info: 605-983-5085
- Father's Day Bluebird Box Workshop, June 15, 6 p.m. MDT at Angostura Recreation Area near Hot Springs. Info: 605-745-6996
- Techno Treasure Hunt Walk in the Park, Oahe Downstream Recreation Area near Fort Pierre, 7 p.m. CDT. This event was rescheduled from June 8. Info: 605-223-7722
- Lantern Tour, June 15, 9 p.m. CDT at Fort Sisseton Historic State Park near Lake City. Info: 605-448-5474
- Shin'uda Mon'thin (Walking with Dogs), June 16, 2 p.m. CDT, Good Earth State Park at Blood Run near Sioux Falls. Info: 605-987-2263 or email@example.com. Pre-registration: 605-362-2777 or www.outdoorcampus.org
Participants are encouraged to wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather. There is no cost to participate in most of the events however, park entrance licenses are required. Registration fees are required for The Big Mick and the Dakotaman Triathlon.
For more information on activities in the SD state parks, visit www.gfp.sd.gov, contact the individual park office, or call 605-773-3391.