Sioux Falls, S.D. (KELO AM) - On April 20, 2014 at approximately 8:15 p.m. Sioux Falls Fire Rescue responded to a structure fire at 5200 S. Oakland Ave.
First arriving crews found flames coming from the back side of the residence and the attic. Crews extinguished the fire on the outside of the structure, entered the house, made access into the attic and had the fire under control in 15 minutes. Crews remained on scene conducting overhaul and looking for hot spots in the attic insulation for an additional 1.5 hours. The home sustained moderate fire and smoke damage.
Residents were out of the house prior to the fire department arriving on scene. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries reported.
Sioux Falls Fire Rescue responded with two support vehicles, four fire trucks, and 18 firefighters. The house did not have a residential sprinkler system. The cause of the fire has been determined to be a propane leak on a gas grill.
With the nice weather Sioux Falls Fire Rescue would like to remind all property owners to inspect their grills, propane tanks, hoses, and connections prior to use for the first time of the season