PIERRE, S.D. (KELO-AM) – Two more South Dakota properties were recently added to the National Register of Historic Places, according to the South Dakota State Historical Society. The listed properties are the First Presbyterian Church in Bridgewater and the Hansen-Hagedorn Barn near Tea.
The National Register is the official federal list of properties identified as important in American history, architecture, archaeology, engineering and culture. The State Historic Preservation Office of the State Historical Society at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre works in conjunction with the National Park Service, which oversees the National Register program, to list the properties.
"South Dakota's history is rich in American Indian culture, pioneer life and change," saidJay D. Vogt, state historic preservation officer and director of the State Historical Society. "Properties listed on the National Register are important for their role inSouth Dakota's culture, heritage and history. And when properties get listed, it shows that their owners take pride in their role in preserving that culture, heritage and history."
Buildings, sites, structures and objects at least 50 years old possessing historical significance may qualify for the National Register, according to Vogt. Properties must also maintain their historic location, design, materials and association. Listing on the National Register does not place any limitations on private property owners by the federal government.
For more information on the National Register or other historic preservation programs, contact the State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Drive, Pierre, SD 57501-2217; telephone (605) 773-3458 or website history.sd.gov/Preservation, click on National Register of Historic Places in the right column.
Summaries for each new listing follow.
First Presbyterian Church, Bridgewater
The First Presbyterian Church in Bridgewater was listed for its architectural significance within South Dakota. The church was built in 1928 by a congregation that had first started meeting in 1879 and disbanded in 2011. It is a significant work of religious architecture in the Prairie Style first popularized by Frank Lloyd Wright. Designed by Mitchell architect Walter J. Dixon, the church exemplifies the Prairie aesthetic of emphasizing the landscape horizon and creating a balanced design through spatial relationship instead of extensive ornamentation.
Hansen-Hagedorn Barn, Tea
The Hansen-Hagedorn Barn near Tea was listed for its local significance to the history of agriculture and barn construction. The barn, built around 1916, is a Dutch gambrel one-and-a-half story barn with red-painted lapped siding and white trim. It represents well the early 20th-century agricultural history of Lincoln County where farmers operated mixed crop and livestock operations on smaller-sized farms.
The South Dakota State Historical Society is a division of the Department of Tourism. The Department of Tourism is comprised of Tourism, the South Dakota Arts Council, and the State Historical Society. The Department is led by Secretary James D. Hagen. The State Historical Society, an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, is headquartered at the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. The center houses the society’s world-class museum, the archives, and the historic preservation, publishing and administrative/development offices. Call (605) 773-3458 or visit history.sd.gov for more information. The society also has an archaeology office in Rapid City; call (605) 394-1936 for more information.